Serves 5-7. You can prepare the meatballs ahead of time and store them in the fridge. Then all you have to do is make the sauce and bake them.
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 T dry minced onion
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 T oil
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, with their juices
- 2 T constarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEATBALLS
- Preheat oven to 400º. Grease 9/13 pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the egg and whisk. Then add the bread crumbs, onion , milk, ground ginger, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
- Add the ground beef and mix with your hands until thoroughly combined (but don’t overmix).
- Roll the meat mixture into 1-inch balls and place side-by-side in the prepared pan.
- Prepare the sauce and pour over meatballs in the pan.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SAUCE
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil, peppers and garlic. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion powder, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar, and oranges (with juice). Bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir the cornstarch and water together and then whisk into the sauce. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Pour the sauce onto the meatballs.