Serves 12. Great dish to make when you have a crowd to fed for breakfast!
- Vegetable Oil Spray
- 1 pound loose breakfast sausage
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or as needed
- 1 small white onion, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 32-ounce container frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- Pinch of ground sage
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp group white pepper
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Preheat oven to 375º. Grease 9 x 13 pan with vegetable oil.
- Line a plate with paper towels. In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned. This should take around 5 minutes. As it is cooking, break up with a spoon. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to the paper towels.
- Saute the onion until translucent in the remaining grease. Add oil if necessary. Stir in the hash brown potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender about 8 minutes. Add back in the sausage and stir. Remove pan from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine and which the eggs, cream, milk, garlic, paprika, sage, salt, and white pepper. Add cheddar and stir. Stir in sausage and potato mixture.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the top of the casserole is browned and the center is set. Cover the dish with foil if it browns before the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chives before serving.
- Best served the same day it is baked but can be refrigerated for up to two days.
Recipe adapted from The Country Cook